Sunday, July 11, 2010

Alice in Artisan Land


"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!"   Alice from Alice in Wonderland


Last night I watched the new Tim Burton film "Alice in Wonderland" or, as she so often says in the film,
Onederland.  How delightful to see artisans at play!  Director Tim Burton collaborated with fellow artisans Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter to create a (somewhat) modern version of the Charles Dodgson (writing under the pen name Louis Carroll) classic complete with a blend of acting and animation which helped to create a new look at the magical world of Wonderland. Burton continues to look through his cynical lens, offering a darker version of the 1865 book as Alice explores all manner of fantastical creatures and landscape while seeking to understand who she is and perhaps more to the point whether she can find her lost "muchness" in order to slay the Jabberwocky. Oh, and possibly not be so mad after all.

Complementing the trio of artisans you will also find as the Knave of Hearts Old Sage Crispin Glover from Back to the Future fame (George McFly), Sage Ann Hathaway as the White Queen (with black lips) and the voice of Alan Rickman as the Cheshire Cat. All of this might seem a bit campy, but if you look at this film through (my) 1st entity eyes and interest in Groundbreaking Work in the Fine Arts, then you will see a new vitality in this entertaining and highly creative film. How IS it that Burton creates a Red Queen with such an enormous head? Alice is smaller, then bigger, then smaller again; you all know the story I'm sure. Have fun tonight and bring expression polarity home while you watch Alice. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment