Saturday, July 24, 2010

The 9 Needs: Security

As I started on this blog, my intention was actually to write about freedom as a need but no matter how I tried, I couldn't wrap my mind around a definition that was satisfying to me. No wonder, freedom is my last need on the list for me!  But security.... now that I can talk about :)

Those with security as a need want to feel safe and snug, all tucked in without a care in the world with all the monsters outside the door. Security often takes the form of collections of people and things which create the false sense of stability and security- of course, true security only comes from inside but try to tell that to someone with security as a need! This need tends to stockpile with loads of tangible goods- houses, money in the bank, a financial "plan" which includes saving for retirement, a need to know that everything is "ok". Folks with this need often play is safe, unwilling to risk their safety net for the chance of a pie in the sky adventure or thrill.

Security also plays out through relationships as this need seeks stability in marriage and long term partnerships. Remember the Tortoise and the Hare story? The tortoise was slow, stable, patient, and grounded. Yep, that's security. The Hare is a risk taker but not our Tortoise!

Security likes to build its nest and save for a rainy day. Better to be safe than sorry might be it's motto.
Or something about a penny wise and a pound foolish.....

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, you've totally called me out! No hiding from this one ;-)

    ReplyDelete