Tuesday, August 16, 2011

End of Summer: Hobbies and True Play


It's been a while since I have blogged as life has been full with new clients after the publication of my book as well as my "new' old hobby, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels which was injected with fresh enthusiasm with the addition of Harrington Bit O' Honey aka Gracie into our lives. 


My dear husband John recently asked me if I had any hobbies. I thought about it and realized that I spend much of my time working with clients and maintaining my physical health through exercise and good nutrition while interjecting some time for true rest and play here and there. But a hobby....not so much!


Thinking more about this hobby idea, I decided to look it up:


Hobby: An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

My love of animals could certainly fall into this category as could my study of all manner of animal related topics from service training to genetics. How fun this might be! A new found hobby for me and one I have been enjoying for years but without knowing it was a hobby! Before today my only contact with the notion of hobbyists was with amateur musicians who loved to play for fun and pleasure but not professionally and I, as a former professional violinist, had little contact with enthusiastic but less technically proficient players who often times worked forty hours a week jobs and then played string quartets nights and weekends. These players were often skilled professionals, doctors and lawyers, who loved music but for many reasons chose not to pursue it as a career. But I always felt such joy from them as "pitchy" as they might be and now I am beginning to understand the true value of doing something because you love it, not because it brings home a paycheck.



I have been very blessed in this life to have a profession that I love, and to have had good success with it. I love helping others, and feel honored to participate in the turning points in their lives, offering my experience and guidance whether it is a medium, astrologer, or shamanic teacher. And, perhaps it is that now as I make the turn toward my 58th year in December, and am completing my life task, I am choosing now to expand my life and bring in more play! 


Question: What brings you pleasure and playfulness?


Photo: Gracie 6.5 months

No comments:

Post a Comment